Chamber Merchandise  
 
 

Sites

 

 

Cedar Creek Lake:

 


Cedar Creek Lake

 

 


William Whitley House

 

 


Hall's Gap Overlook

 

 


Logan Hubble Park

 

 


Lincoln County Courthouse

 

 

Isaac Shelby Cemetery

 

 


Main Street Stanford, KY

 

 


Cedar Creek Lake

 
  A 784-acre lake in Lincoln County - More information, map and photos of Cedar Creek Lake.

 

 
 

Courthouse:

 
 

(Main St., Stanford) Original courthouse on this site was in 1786. Records contained in this building date back to 1779, some written on sheepskin. The Fiscal Court room contains some of the finest portraits of Lincoln County Judges.

 

 
 

Stanford Presbyterian Church:

 
 

(1 block west of Courthouse on Main Street) Founded in 1788, is one of the oldest Presbyterian congregations in the state. Original church on this site was destroyed in 1838 by a tornado. Present church built in 1888.

 

 
 

Interior Journal:

 
 

(111 E. Main St.) One of the first three newspapers, it covered the interior of the state. The paper is one of the oldest continuously operated newspapers in Kentucky. Operated at the existing site since the 1890's.

 

 
 

L and N Depot:

 
 

(right on Lancaster St., left to Depot Street) The original structure built in 1866 and replaced by the existing building in 1912. Will be used as a museum and community center with park and trail.

 

 
 

Baughman Mill:

 
 

(behind depot on Depot St.) Built in 1884 with the logs from the first steam mill in the county, known as Buffalo Mill.

 

 
 

Stanford Female Seminary:

 
 

(south on Depot St., right on Main St.) Incorporated in 1869, closed in 1907 after tax supported schools were made available.

 

 
 

Harvey Helm Museum & Library:

 
 

(across from Seminary at 315 W. Main St.) Built in 1788, this historic library/museum was one of the first houses in Stanford. Originally served as first church in Kentucky, a home in the 1930's and then a library in 1965. Opened in 1971 as it is known today.

 

 
 

Bright's Old Stage Coach Inn:

 
 

(west on Main St. to US 150, 1.5 mi. west of Stanford) Built in 1815, was one of the first such facilities in the state. Visited by Isaac Shelby, Henry Clay, and George Rogers Clark.

 

 
 

Buffalo Springs Cemetary

 
 

(U-turn at Wilderness Estates and back to business US 150, right to KY 78, .25 mi on right) Site of first courthouse in Kentucky built in 1783 which was later used by the Presbyterians as a meeting house in 1792. During the Civil War it was the site of a Confederate encampment. One of the oldest cemeteries in Kentucky, it contains graves of many Revolutionary soldiers.

 

 
 

McCormack Christian Church & Cemetary

 
 

(proceed on KY 78 1.7 mi., right on KY 1194 scenic 2.5 mi. drive, past bridge turn right on Moores Lane, church on right). Erected in 1819 with brick kilned on the site. Was known as "The Church" because all, including slaves, came to worship. The church is on the National Register of Historic Places. The cemetery dates back to 1780. Services held every Sunday.

 

 
 

Isaac Shelby Cemetery State Historical Site:

 
  (continue on Moores Lane .8 mi to top of hill, right on Hatcher Road along panoramic view of Lincoln County, 1.5 mi., to Knob Lick Rd./KY 300 turn left) Governor Shelby (Kentucky's first governor) and family are buried at this site, open to the public.

 

 
 

Hustonville Christian Church:

 
  (from cemetery turn left, proceed .7 mi. to US 127, turn left and proceed 6.7 mi., left at Hustonville welcome sign, church on right) Congregation organized in 1830. The church was built in 1858.

 

 
 

McKinney:

 
  (proceed to KY 78, turn left proceed 4.5 mi. to KY 198, turn right, proceed 2.8 mi., right on Main, left on Busy Bee) Founded in 1789 as a fort and was the first permanent trading post in this part of the state. The fort was used to supply the needs of the Militia. With the coming of the railroad in the late 1800's the town became one of the busiest trading centers in the state. The restaurant near the train tracks is a replica of the train depot. Featured at the restaurant is "Southern Home Country Cookin."

 

 
 

Hall's Gap Overlook:

 
 

(turn right onto KY 698, go 1 mi. turn right onto KY 3249 (Skyline Dr.), proceed 3 mi. while enjoying the scenic vistas, turn right onto US 27, go .2 mi. turn left onto KY 1247, .5 mi to overlook) The overlook which is 5 mi. south of Stanford is the highest point overlooking the Bluegrass region. One can see Mercer, Garrard, Boyle, Jessamine and Lincoln Counties. The area was once a thriving tourist attraction with Inn, restaurant, observation tower, and airplane rides. Headwaters of the Green River start through a spring at this location.

 

 
 

Ottenheim:

 
  (turn right on KY 1247, 4 mi. to KY 643, turn left) Founded by the Germans and Swiss in 1880's. An early progressive farming community.

 

 
 

Crab Orchard Cemetery:

 
  (proceed 12 mi. on KY 643, turn left at Cedar St., proceed .1 mi, cemetery on left) A draped shaft monument marks the graves of about 30 Civil war soldiers from Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and Texas. Listed on the National Register.

 

 
 

William Whitley House:

 
 

(proceed back to US 150, turn right, proceed 2 mi., turn left at sign) Built in 1785, was the first brick house west of the Alleghenies. Near the home is Sportsman's Hill, site of the first counter clockwise horse race conducted on the first circular race track in America. The home and grounds are a state historic site.

 

 
 

Logan Hubble Park:

 
 

(turn left onto US 150, proceed 8 mi., turn right onto US 27, go 4 mi., turn left onto White Oak, follow signs) The 200-acre regional recreational facility includes a lake, picnic facilities, equestrian trail, hiking, playground, basketball courts and boat ramp onto the Dix River. In addition to this award-winning park, Lincoln County will soon have an approximately 800-acre recreational lake for boating, fishing and other water-based recreation.